Thursday, February 04, 2010

Not Again please!

In case all my friends think I have an easy life, that I live like a lord, that I am a spoilt rabbit who doesn't appreciate his luxurious lifestyle, take a look at this.Do I hear shouts of unfair to rabbits? Are you crying into your hay? Are you stamping your back foot and tossing your water dish in the air? I hope so.
They call this de-fluffing. I call it criminal.
I have carefully pointed out to them on many occasions that I will not be groomed with a a brush so what do they do? They grab me while I am dozing peacefully, hoist me onto the bench, hold me down in a half nelson with one hand and have the temerity to yank out great clumps of my beautiful, powder-puff fur with the other leaving the most unsightly bald patches near my er, tail.
Even worse, they were taught how to do this by my vet! The man I thought was my friend. The man every rabbit should turn to at least twice a year to maintain his healthy lifestyle. Well, think again friends.
Then sometimes when I look at the photograph my friend Celia Haddon sent of a rabbit in her garden in the snow with his myxi eye and his desperate nibbling of her Eleagnus bush to prevent starvation, I pull my cuddle blanket over my head and count my blessings. Moulting time is nothing in the great scheme of things is it?

3 comments:

George Online Cat said...

My pet, Celia, who took the bunny photo tells me that almost all local rabbits now have mixy. She has driven past several standing near the roadside. She thought about getting out and rescuing them and came to the conclusion that a swift death via car might be more humane. It's really sad. She is just hoping enough survive for her to take baby bunny photos this summer.
George

Lennie said...

Too much info Harvey! Especially since I have had to endure a trip to a new vet this week. Sarah is very nice but a bit far away so I am trying James who seems nice too and gives us less travelling stress.

I was held in a gentle vice like grip, but no one is shaving my rear end! Not without a struggle.
My toes are looking smart though.

George and Celia are right. It is a hideous disease to rabbits. I think we are very lucky really.
You can have all my fresh apple Harvey if you give me your sprouts.

Happy Days
Love Lennie

KattyCat said...

The picture of the sick bunny is very sad - i guess that it reminds us that we've traded freedom for comfort and love, and that even if we have to go through a bit of de-fluffing, we're the lucky ones - that said, i really need to hide my bross - my mum uses it everytime i'm nicely relaxing on the sofa, this is SO annoying!